Recent Posts

Follow Me on Pinterest
A blog about a mom with a crazy boy and a new baby girl trying to figure it all out and keep life simple.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Getting ready for baby number two

I'm officially blogging about baby number two before our friends and family know about it. Why? I've thus far kept my online life (as humble as it is) and my personal life separate. Thats just how I like it. We are very excited. Since we've switched to a midwife practice, we haven't had the early vaginal ultrasound and we're waiting until we hear the heartbeat to announce the good news.

Anyhow, I've been researching up a storm on how to get ready for this new baby due in 7 months. They will be 25 months apart. There are a lot of moms blogging about "two under two", which seems like it somewhat will apply. So, I'm assembling tips and tricks, mainly common sense.

I recommend the following websites:BabyBunching.comthemommyhoodmemos.com

The tips that they provide are all common sense. Mom: be on top of your game, give yourself a break when you are not. Dad: take the oldest under your wing, offer to pitch in more. With that in mind, I've formed on overly idealistic game plan for surviving with a newborn and a toddler.

Plan for Lil' C:

  1. Read books about becoming a brother and about a new baby. I'll let you know which ones we like as we go.
  2. Work on his ability to respond to verbal commands like come, stop, sit, and others helpful cues. 
  3. Give him more opportunities to walk around with me.
  4. Ease him into the new routines that we'll likely have once the baby comes.
  5. Get a baby doll and start practicing holding it, showing affection. 
  6. Encourage his independence for self care tasks.
  7. Pre-plan table or busy bag activities for him to do while I am nursing.
  8. Encourage more outings with Daddy. 
Plan for Daddy & Mommy: 
  1. Lower my expectations. We're in a pretty good groove right now, but I know that's going to take some time to re-establish. 
  2. Take one nap a day. I am praying that I'll be able to align one of their naps. 
  3. Stock the freezer with go-to meals for the first two weeks. 
  4. Pre-section snacks so that they are easy to grab. 
  5. Find a way to date. Keep up our weekly Netflix movie night that comes standard with home-popped popcorn. 
  6. Have a basic grocery list so that mommy brain won't get the best of me. Leave one in husband's car so he'll be able to do the shopping in a pinch. 
  7. Wake up before they do. * This will be hard for me. I'm not sure how I'll be able to get dressed otherwise. I really just need 15 minutes. 
  8. Get ready for the next day once they are asleep.
    1. Restock diaper bag & backpack.
    2. Prepare bottles, breakfast & lunches.
    3. Plan for the next day, check weather & calendar
  9. Get a stroller and a half or a double stroller. 
  10. Utilize all of my baby carrying gear like my Moby Wrap & Maya Ring Sling (both of which I'd like to spice them up to make them prettier) and my ERGO. I actually picked up a chunei (for $7!) which I am excited to use with a newborn. 
  11. Breakout all of the old baby gear; swing, bumbo, pack-n-play, bouncer, play gym. Wash ahead of time.
  12. Create a modest baby registry... just in case anyone wants to get me something. 
  13. Get out of the house when the weather is good. 

This is part of my plan for now. It is out of my head and into cyberspace. I hope that it will work and help others!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More