Recent Posts

Follow Me on Pinterest
A blog about a mom with a crazy boy and a new baby girl trying to figure it all out and keep life simple.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Misadventures of Co-Sleeping

Before I had my baby, I hadn't made up my mind about where my baby would sleep, but my husband had. "He'll be sleeping in his crib, where he belongs." Besides, we have a queen size bed with little room for a baby. After a few nights of breastfeeding for 20 minutes every 2 hours, that plan was out the window. I would try to stick to feeding and then putting him back to bed as long as I could, but I would eventually wake up too exhausted to do either.

So, I brought him into bed with me. At first it was glorious. When he woke up in the middle of the night, I would bring him to bed with us, then roll to my side and I'd fall asleep with him feeding. I would occasionally wake up to a peaceful baby, it felt like this was how it was meant to be, mother and child.

A few times later I learned the hard way that keeping a receiving blanket under him diaper failures was a necessity. Then he started spiting up profusely because I hadn't burped him while I was asleep (probably an error in judgement on my part). And then he got a stuffy nose. All night I tried to sleep, but was unable to do so with his labored breathing. He is a LIGHT sleeper for the most part. If I even thought about moving, he would wake up. This just didn't seem good for him. It also started to crowd out my husband.

So, he now sleeps regularly through the majority of the night in his crib. Often I bring him into bed with me because he insists on a 5AM feeding, then wakes up at 7. I enjoy the time that we get to sleep together. He wakes up in the morning so happy, that I can't help but join in and reap the reward of smiles.

Could I have co-slept better? Certainly yes. The co-sleeper bassinets are a fantastic idea. I wish that I had purchased the Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper Mini Bassinet Convertible because would have provided him with his own safe area to sleep, also it could also act as a pack-n-play. The commonly available The First Years Secure Sleeper would have been nice if we'd had a larger bed.

Do I think co-sleeping is right or wrong? I think it is up to the parent to make an informed decision. Learn the precautions that need to be made from books like Sleeping with Your Baby: A Parent's Guide to Cosleeping. If you'd like, try it. Don't knock it until you have. It wasn't the right situation for me, but I know that it has been great for others.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More