Recent Posts

Follow Me on Pinterest
A blog about a mom with a crazy boy and a new baby girl trying to figure it all out and keep life simple.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Elimination Communication

[Wikipedia] Elimination Communication is a toilet training practice in which a caregiver uses timing, signals, cues, and intuition to address an infant's need to eliminate waste. Typically the goal is to partially or completely avoid the use of diapers. EC emphasizes communication between the caregiver and child, helping them both become more attuned to the child's innate rhythms and control of urination and defecation. Some practitioners of EC begin soon after birth, although it can be started with babies of any age.

Some people might have just freaked out at the thought of this. Everyone in my family has thought me crazy for considering it. I like the concept because, much like breastfeeding, you are responding to the needs of your infant or toddler.  I plan to try a Part-Time EC, or maybe even Occasional EC, method by focusing on EC-ing primarily when at home. I feel that when I am the primary caregiver of my child, I will become aware of and able to respond to my child's elimination needs. I will use cloth diapers at home as a backup.


My best resource has become diaperfreebaby.org. To prepare, I want to read The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Christine Gross-loh. Although you can position your child over the toilet, It will also be nice to have a child's potty. 
The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative

BABYBJÖRN Little Potty - Blue

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More